Ashtabula County Building Department
The Ashtabula County Building Department is responsible for administering the state building codes which provide protection for public health and the safety of County Residents and visitors alike. This is accomplished through permitting, plan review, and inspections of buildings and structures. This site has been organized to provide relevant information and resources for your building project.
REQUIREMENTS TO OBTAIN A PERMIT
- Contact your Local Zoning for approval for your specific project.
- If your project includes plumbing contact the Health Department for approval.
- Provide a copy of the Zoning and Plumbing approvals (if applicable) to the Building Department.
- We are now digital, please email your completed application along with your construction documents to:
RESIDENTIAL PROJECTS: Shyann Casbohm SLCasbohm@ashtabulacounty.us
NON-RESIDENTIAL PROJECTS: Cari Ellsworth CAEllsworth@ashtabulacounty.us
- Your plans will then go through the Plan Review Process (up to 30 Days).
- After the plans are reviewed your plans will be issued an approval or will require more information for the project. (At that time the fees (SEE BELOW) associated with the project are due and shall be paid before the permit will be issued).
HOW TO SCHEDULE AN INSPECTION
Please call the office (440) 576-3737 to schedule an inspection. Inspection requests left on voicemail will not be accepted.
INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN SCHEDULING AN INSPECTION:
- Permit Number or Address Number.
- Type of Inspection Requested.
- Date of required inspection.
- On-Site Contact Name and Phone Number for the required inspection.
- Verification that up-to-date APPROVED Construction documents will be available during the required inspection.
- Any Special Relevant information (Gate, Door codes, Lead times, Location of Approved Documents…etc.)
INSPECTION HOURS: 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. Special arrangements will need to be made in advance for inspections outside of these hours.
INSPECTIONS: Inspections will typically be scheduled one business day after the request.
DESIGN CRITERIA FOR ASHTABULA COUNTY
- CLIMATIC AND GEOGRAPHIC DESIGN CRITERIA @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
CURRENT CODES FOR ASHTABULA COUNTY, OHIO
- 2019 RESIDENTIAL CODE OF OHIO (RCO)
- 2017 OHIO BUILDING CODE (NON-RESIDENTIAL) (OBC)
- 2017 NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE (NEC)
- 2017 OHIO MECHANICAL CODE (NON-RESIDENTIAL) (OMC) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
FOR CURRENT PLUMBING CODES VISIT
- ASHTABULA COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT
- CONNEAUT CITY HEALTH DEPARTMENT @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>