The major objectives of SWCDs are:
- To help all people to realize the importance of natural resource conservation.
- To promote the multiple uses of soil and water resources to provide a healthy, pleasant environment for everyone.
- To coordinate private interests and local, state, and federal agencies of government in order to provide assistance in the implementation of soil and water conservation works of improvement.
- To assure the conservation and orderly development of our natural resources, which is becoming more urgent due to increasing population pressures on land and water.
- To initiate conservation and natural resource development programs.
- To assist landowners in meeting agricultural pollution and urban sediment pollution abatement standards adopted by the state and federal governments.