I take deposits. When do I report them?
Generally, it is best to report your deposits as part of your bookings for the month in which it is collected. Thus, you would collect lodging tax on the deposit. If your guest does not follow through on the reservation, you can back out the deposit and tax when you issue it. This is the system used by the State of Ohio for its cabins. We recognize this system can be burdensome for small operators and especially those who take reservations in January and February but don't actually open until June, thus requiring forms be filed in months they are not operating. Whatever approach you use, be consistent.

Show All Answers

1. What other political subdivisions in Ashtabula County have a bed tax?
2. I take deposits. When do I report them?
3. I am a small operator, do I still have to collect and report?
4. What is the county's lodging tax?
5. What am I required to do in order to collect the tax?
6. What are the reporting requirements?
7. How can I get reporting forms?