What if I win or lose?
Courts have various ways of letting your know how the claim was decided. These ways can vary from court to court and claim to claim. The judge may state his or her decision at the end of the hearing, or may state that he or she will issue a written decision at a later date. In any event, the official decision (judgment) is part of the court’s records. If you disagree with the judgment, you should decide whether you wish to appeal the judgment, ask the judge to reconsider the decision, etc. The practice varies from court to court. If you wish to appeal, you should immediately contact the clerk of the court which issued the judgment. Ask the clerk whether you can appeal. Time limits are short for appealing. If you wish to appeal find out what the time limits are and take the required steps within the time limits. The court’s judgment should address all claims. The losing party on any of these claims is a “judgment debtor”. Additional action can be taken against the judgment debtor if the judgment is not paid promptly. If you have lost and believe the judgment is fair (or do not want to appeal) you can pay the judgment ordered by the court. You can call the person or entity that won and attempt to negotiate the amount and terms of payment.

Show All Answers

1. What is small claims court?
2. What cases can the court handle?
3. Who can sue or be sued?
4. Where do I file my claim?
5. How do I file my claim?
6. What does it cost?
7. I’ve been sued! What do I do now?
8. What if the claim is settled before hearing?
9. How do I prepare my case?
10. What is mediation?
11. How does mediation work?
12. Why mediate?
13. What if I do not appear at the hearing / trial?
14. What if I win or lose?
15. How do I get my money?