How do I get my money?
There are several ways to collect a judgment. The best way is voluntary payment by the judgment debtor (the person who must pay under the judgment). Garnishment of the judgment debtor’s personal earnings or bank account is the next best way. Another method is attachment and sale of some of the judgment debtor’s personal property. You can also obtain a “judgment lien” against the judgment debtor’s real estate. If you do not have the information in order to collect your judgment, you may have the court order the judgment debtor to answer a financial status affidavit about his, her or its property and finances. You must wait 30 days after judgment to do this.

Show All Answers

1. What is small claims court?
2. What cases can the court handle?
3. Who can sue or be sued?
4. Where do I file my claim?
5. How do I file my claim?
6. What does it cost?
7. I’ve been sued! What do I do now?
8. What if the claim is settled before hearing?
9. How do I prepare my case?
10. What is mediation?
11. How does mediation work?
12. Why mediate?
13. What if I do not appear at the hearing / trial?
14. What if I win or lose?
15. How do I get my money?